Monday, June 8, 2009


Days are getting a little slow without having a computer. I could ideally get a new PC laptop for five to seven hundred dollars or I could get another Mac. I really do feel like I have the nerdy PC guy and the young hip Jason Long on both of my shoulders. If Jason wasn’t dating my long time love Kirsten Dunst, I’d choose Mac immediately, but as far as I’m concerned we have some bad blood. I think I’m going to get a new Mac, but to spend and arm or an arm and a leg is the question. Anyways, that explains the slow posting. I would like to get a little more in here.

Weekend = Riding my bike from south loop to Rodgers Park. It was a good 11-12 mile ride. It kind of killed me. Got to see Empire, Empire! I was a Lonely Estate, which is the closest thing I’ve had to Mineral in a long time. Cheesecake Factory on Saturday and chose the Shrimp and Bacon sandwich. It made happy. I got some new threads and kicks too. It was a pretty good weekend, which included me watching Lady Vengeance (2006), and Wild at Heart (1990).

This was it, my last major David Lynch film. Yes, he has a bunch of short films like Cowboy and the Frenchman, Dumbland, and his Disney movie, The Straight Story, however, Wild at Heart was the last major film by Lynch.

First off, I was expecting this to be nothing like his other movies. I was expecting a strange Coen Brother’s type of film and maybe that’s because Nick Cage plays a similar role to Raising Arizona (1987). This film displays all the similar features of a David Lynch film. It’s extremely interesting to see this film was made in the same year as the Television series Twin Peaks (1990). This film captures a post renaissance love affair with Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern’s characters. The two are so deeply in love with one another, their actions often hurt them. Being so attached to one another burdens both of their characters. Lynch finds the deeply disturbing family in several of his stories, and this one doesn’t disappoint. The estranged mother is drunk and out of reality. Things are starting to sound familiar to Lynch fans.
Wild at Heart keeps the characters innocent until Sailor (Cage) tries to earn extra money for their odyssey-esque trip. The characters travel through the strangest scenarios meeting repulsive characters like Bobby Peru (Willem Dafoe), and through their travels, they see an evil, hellish world.
This is probably the most cohesive Lynch film I’ve seen, although the characters like to surprisingly hardcore dance every time music plays. Dune (1984) would be up there, but the whole yelling into the guns to make them fire thing was a little strange for me. The audience amiably accepts these character’s roles, although we see Sailor as a dangerous man right from the beginning. Dern and Cage work amazing together and it surprises me that not until this weekend did I see Wild at Heart.

Wild at Heart (1990)
D: David Lynch
S: David Lynch
Original Novel: Barry Gifford
** ½ Stars

2 comments:

  1. alex, i was just wondering how you calculated your ratings????
    also, jason long is dating drew barrymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's out of four stars. I've been reading this ridiculous film review book. It pretty much gives a rating and brief little bit like I'm doing for almost any movie you could think of before 2007. It's intense. However, Wild at Heart got a 2 1/2 because it had a great storyline, hilarious characters, but it didn't match up to the other D. Lynch films. Maybe I'm just making it all up in my head.

    Also, I had no idea about Long! Thank you for your Hollywood update. I think I'm ready for a new Mac now.

    ReplyDelete