Friday, June 5, 2009


This Chicago Summer has begun. Although we haven’t quite been feeling it lately, it is here. My first summer DVD release movie was shipped to me via Netflix the other night and I have to say, I don’t think it’s going to be topped for best (DVD) release in the summer. I’m always a little behind, so I hardly get to see these movies in the theatre, which is a poor excuse for a fellow Chicagoan.

The other night I watched Revolutionary Road (2008). This film grabs the audience right from the beginning. We are immersed in this 1950’s couple’s lives that do not belong in the 50’s. Or do they? This film captures the rebellious desires to break free from everyone else, and how some of us long to be different. However, Sam Mendes, or more so Richard Yates, shows best the human desires to fight the mold. Revolutionary Road has much more than a break free aspiration. These characters truly clash against each other using dialogue I haven’t heard since Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966). The set up of the story is similar and it would be hard to like one of these movies and despise the other. This film makes me terrified to grow older, because as much as I can say I don’t want kids, and I don’t want the perfect little house on the corner; it’s nearly impossible to miss, or maybe Yates is just trying to scare the working class pants off me. I know it’s early in the blog, and I promise you won’t see much more of these ratings.


Revolutionary Road (2008)
D: Sam Mendes
S: Justin Haythe
Original Story: Richard Yates
**** Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment